What do you think when you look at your website? Are you proud of it and eager to share it with customers? Or does it leave much to be desired? If you aren’t happy with what you see, it's time for an upgrade.
Here are 10 reasons to upgrade your small business website today:
1. It’s not mobile optimized. Mobile optimization is no longer negotiable. According to Statista, more than half of web traffic comes from mobile devices. Visitors want convenience and a positive mobile experience. If your website isn’t optimized for mobile use, it’s time to upgrade.
2. It’s hard to navigate. User experience is arguably the most important aspect of your website. In a survey by Clutch, 94% of participants indicated site navigation as the most useful website feature. In fact, many users won’t return to a site if it isn’t easy to navigate. Try putting yourself in the shoes of a first-time user. If you find it difficult or confusing, it’s probably time to upgrade.
3. It’s outdated. If your site looks like it was built in 1998, it’s definitely time for an upgrade. Do you have posts from 10 years ago? Are your images outdated? Does your site lack social media integration? Are you proud to direct people to it? If you wouldn’t want to visit your own site, you know others won’t. Time to upgrade.
4. It’s slow. Do you love it when you go on a website looking for information about a business and then it takes F-O-R-E-V-E-R for the site to load? Neither do we! Slow loading sites are a big reason for high bounce rates, meaning visitors aren’t sticking around. And if they aren’t sticking around, how will they know what you are all about? Time to upgrade to a fast, optimized site!
5. It’s complicated to update. Do you get frustrated because you want to make updates to your site but find it difficult and over-complicated? Your website needs to be user-friendly from both a visitor and an administrator perspective. If you can’t easily make the updates you need when you need them, it’s probably time for an upgrade.
6. It’s too busy. When someone visits your website, how does it look? Is it clean and uncluttered or is there just too much going on? Put yourself in your users’ shoes and make sure it’s easy to find what they are looking for. If the site is too busy, it will lead to frustration and high bounce rates. You want users to stick around, so it needs to be easy for them to find what they are looking for.
7. It doesn’t reflect your brand. Everything in your marketing plan should reflect your brand and your website is no different. Your website is the home base of your brand, so it needs to be consistent with everything else. The colors, fonts, logo, and overall style should give visitors a good overview of your company.
8. It doesn’t have e-commerce capability. With more people shopping at home, e-commerce has really taken off in the past few months and it looks like that trend will continue. If you are selling products and your website doesn’t have effective e-commerce capability, now is the time to upgrade!
9. It’s not secure. A secure website is very important for many reasons. It protects your company and your visitors and helps to keep your site from harmful attacks or hacking. The more secure your site, the more confident your visitors will feel visiting it. Fortunately, security is a built-in feature with many platforms, and can be addressed when you upgrade your site.
10. Your SEO is struggling. Another important website feature is search engine optimization (or SEO). While there are different ways to improve SEO, a site that is not properly built or outdated presents a disadvantage. Search engines look for certain website features when ranking sites for results. Make sure your site is updated enough to have the basic elements that are essential for SEO.
If you are reading this and realizing your website is falling short, there is good news. Most of these issues can be addressed with a properly designed website and the cost of a custom site may be less than you expect. Upgrading your website has many benefits and can yield a great return on investment.
If your website is causing you frustration, we can help. Give us a call today to discuss custom solutions.