If you have spent any time at all marketing your business, you know how important it is to have quality content. Good content separates you from the crowd and allows you to convey the message you want to send to your target audience. Creating content can also get very overwhelming. If you are struggling to create content or just want a refresh, these ideas may help.
Here are seven ways to increase the value of your content.
1. Have a plan. If you have read any of our other posts, this doesn’t come as a surprise. We always suggest you start with a plan. To get started, look at where you are and determine where you want to be. Review your current content and see what’s working and what isn’t working. Set some goals and objectives and create steps to achieve them. Once you have your priorities set, you can look for relevant topics, create content, and schedule and organize it to maximize value and results.
2. Know your audience and what they value. If you don’t know your audience and what they value, it’s difficult to connect with them. Make sure you are listening to them. Listening can involve officially surveying them and asking for feedback, or it could be a matter of studying analytics and monitoring social media activity and interaction. What are your most popular posts? What is the most popular time to post? What topics get the most interaction? The answers to those questions will give you some insight into what brings value to your audience.
3. Differentiate your business from the competition. Don’t just post for quantity. Make sure you have a reason to post. Whether you have a product or a service-based business, you can find ways to set your business apart and stand out as a thought leader in your industry. Your content is a great way to do this. What problem can you solve better or differently from your competition? Why should your customers choose you over someone else? Maybe it’s a great product or the way you interact with your clients, how you help your customers save time or money, your company culture or your founding principles. Define your unique qualities and remember them when you create content.
4. Diversify content into different types. One type of content is going to get boring quickly and boring content is certainly not what you are going for. Change things up by creating different types of content. This can include:
Visuals such as graphics, presentations, slides, or carousels
Text including blog posts, research, feedback, or case studies
Videos such as short video snippets, podcasts, or online and live event streaming
Interactive posts like polls, quizzes, questionnaires, social media posts or Q&A
Downloadable PDFs including how-to guides, checklists, tutorials, or e-books
5. Repurpose content. One of the great things about content is that you can repurpose it in several ways. Get creative and make the most out of it by sharing different formats across multiple platforms. For example, if you have a blog post or series, you can turn it into several different pieces of content. Here are a few ideas:
Incorporate the posts into social media with interactive elements, such as Q&A or polls.
Use bite sized pieces for graphics.
Make short videos.
Share key takeaways.
6. Connect with your audience in a personal way. Transparent, real-time content is a great way to connect with your audience. Let them know more about who you are and what you do by giving them a peek into the day-to-day operations at your business. Don’t forget to share behind-the-scenes footage and little snippets that show more about your company culture. People connect with people, so they enjoy seeing real stories. You can also show specific ways you have worked with your customers and clients by sharing user generated content like reviews, comments, questions, or tagged social media posts.
7. Launch a newsletter. If you have incorporated these steps, you probably have some great content! Share it in another way by launching a newsletter. Email marketing is still going strong, so you can offer another level of value to your customers or clients by collecting your best content and sending it straight to their inboxes. Of course, like any campaign, you will want to start with a plan. Once you have determined your strategy, chosen the right tools, and built your email list, you can start sending.
These are just a few ways for you to increase the value of you content. Great content is a helpful tool for your audience and your business, but it takes time, effort, and focus to create.
If you feel overwhelmed and have questions or need assistance, we are here to help. The team at The Social Bullpen can create a custom plan for content and all your marketing needs.