Last week, we discussed a few steps to get started with email marketing. (Check out that post if you are just getting started.) If you are already using email marketing, you understand how important it is. Email is an economical and effective way to reach your audience, making it a wonderful return on investment. Even if you have found some success in your email marketing, you may be looking for some ways to improve.
Here are some tips to make the most of your email marketing.
1. Check your segmentation. Segmenting your audience is key to personalizing your messages. If you haven’t already, take some time to know and understand your audience and divide them into different personas. You may have some overlap between different segments, but this step is essential to maximizing the effectiveness of your email marketing strategy.
2. Personalize everything! A main advantage of email marketing is the ability to send personalized content directly to your audience’s inbox. This is not a one size fits all approach. Once you have segmented your audience, take the extra time to personalize different aspects of your email campaigns— email greetings, types of emails, certain topics, etc.— to send the most relevant content to each audience segment.
3. Pay attention to design. Design really can make or break any communications you send. Your emails do not need to be fancy, but should be clean, professional and on brand. Make sure to include your logo so it’s easy to identify your company. Keep the main message brief, concise, and easy to skim so your readers can quickly find the information they need.
4. Optimize your emails for mobile use. According to Campaign Monitor, 68% of emails are opened on mobile devices, so optimizing your emails for mobile use is essential! Remember that emails look different on different types of screens, so make sure to preview your emails before sending.
5. Create great content. We bring this up a lot because great content is so important. Remember to know your audience and what they value so you can write with them in mind. By providing subscribers with the kind of information they find beneficial, you will keep your audience’s attention and establish your company as an authority on your subject.
6. Focus on subject lines to grab attention. After you have taken the time to create all that great content, you want your subscribers to read it. Don’t forget about subject lines. Don’t use misleading subject lines but try to get creative enough to pique your audience’s interest. Keep your lines concise, but compelling. Test different subjects to see which emails get opened more frequently. This will help with your email open rate and increase engagement with your audience.
7. Review analytics regularly. Employ analytical tools to see what messages are being opened, what times are best, and which email campaigns are more responsive. This ongoing step is important to really help with the effectiveness of your email marketing. You can’t rely on tactics that were previously successful if they are no longer working, so make regular review a priority and adjust as needed. You don’t have to get stuck in one cycle. Instead, experiment with new ideas to see what happens. Keep reviewing to see what works best for your business and your goals.
8. Update your list. Since you are regularly reviewing your results, make sure to update your list often. Outdated lists can produce high bounce rates, lead to irrelevant content, or even cause your emails to be flagged as spam. That is the last thing you want! Your goal is to get your content in front of your subscribers. Pay attention to recent unsubscribes and avoid using old lists for new campaigns. If you notice that a subscriber has not opened your emails after a certain amount of time (one year is a good guideline) go ahead and remove them from the list. Finally, make sure to make it easy to subscribe to your emails so you can regularly update your list with new subscribers who are interested in your content.
Effective email marketing can be challenging, but it is worth the effort involved to make a big impact. If you haven’t tried some of these tips, give them a try to see if they help with your email engagement.
If you feel overwhelmed and have questions or need assistance, we are here to help. The team at The Social Bullpen can create a custom plan for email marketing and all your marketing needs.