Are you designing or re-designing a logo for a new or existing business? While a logo isn’t the only aspect of a brand, it is an important visual representation of your business. Your logo has a lot of power in conveying the overall image of your brand, so logo design can be challenging.
Fortunately, there are certain things to keep in mind to make sure you have a successful logo.
1. Include your name. This may seem obvious, but your logo should include the name of your business so it’s easily recognizable. It can certainly include other graphic elements, but the name is very important. You want people to easily associate your logo with your business.
2. Incorporate a clean and simple design. You want a design that’s clean, simple, visually pleasing and that can be recognized in an instant. Think about some of the most memorable logos. They are clean and simple. Too much visual clutter can be distracting and may end up having a negative effect.
3. Choose the right colors. The colors in your logo are also very important. When thinking about the colors you want to use, consider different elements of your brand. Are your colors reinforcing the message you are trying to communicate? Can you use the same color scheme throughout other branding elements? Will the colors easily translate for digital or print media? Be careful about the amount of colors used in your logo. A good rule of thumb is to avoid using more than three colors. Not only will fewer colors keep your design clean and simple but can also help keep costs down when printing.
4. Consider horizontal vs. vertical orientation. When designing your logo, consider whether you should use a horizontal or a vertical orientation. Think about all the different ways it will be used and how it will need to be incorporated in various spaces. Sometimes a long, rectangular logo will need to fit into a vertical space or a vertical logo may need to take up a wide space. Keep this in mind and keep the main elements of your logo simple and versatile so you can easily create a horizontal and vertical version.
5. Make it versatile. Since you will be using your logo in many different ways, it should be versatile. It should be able to be adjusted for different spaces, different types of media, and should look good in full color or black and white.
6. Your logo should be timeless. It’s important to incorporate current trends into your logo, but you want it to look timeless, rather than easily dated. Consider fonts graphics and other design elements that will stand the test of time.
Designing a logo can be overwhelming, but with the right steps you can have a beautiful, effective graphic. If you have questions about your logo, contact The Social Bullpen. We can create a custom design to represent your business and help you stand out in the crowd.